Friday 12 March 2010

‘Systemising' our thoughts

I believe a key aspect of effective learning is the ‘systemisation’ of information. I believe, well actually we know that our brains are exceptionally well adapted at noticing patterns. I think this means amongst other things that we can use the creation of patterns to enhance our learning. This can happen by forming information into a system. A system can be a list, or map, or diagram or an argument. The act of forming information into a system is to make it easier for the brain to make sense of it and draw it into memory.

OK this is all pretty obvious. But what then if we use it intentionally and playfully to try out different patterns?

Creating lists is to create a hierarchy. This means we intentionally place information into certain locations. These locations sit ‘above’ or are ‘higher’ order ideas than the information, and hence a hierarchy is created.

So try to organise, and reorganise information and ideas into patterns as this will help you to ‘make sense’ of even the most complex material.

An example of a hierarchy is Ciera’s Blog.

And how is this relevant? Well research is information that has been systemised by you the researcher ... so worth thinking about?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan,

    I was very chuffed that you used me as an example!

    I do believe in organizing myself and my thoughts and this can only help me with my research. I like to work in a systematic way.

    Ciera

    ReplyDelete