Wednesday 1 May 2013

NOT feedback .... but some observations


One of the most interesting aspects of BAPP is to be able to listen to people’s stories and the sense we make of the stories of our lives. You may be interested in a recent post of mine on the topic of memory making and the seminal research and work of Daniel Kahneman

Like most people, I tend to follow more than post, and I go in fits and starts! Following the Blogs from BAPP I’m really impressed by the energy and focus so many bloggers are bringing to the examination of our collective professional practices. I wanted to just talk through some of the posts that struck me as interesting. This is by no means to imply these are the best, or that there are not excellent posts elsewhere, its just these resonated for me in this moment.

I would strongly urge you to look across the BAPP Blogs (current and past) and identify the posts that bring value or insight to you.

So onto some posts of interest to me …

Firstly,  I was struck by Jo’s honest appraisal of his Network and his Motivations. We inevitably bring our prior experiences to the ways we view the world, and I think Jo captures succinctly the tension between why we perceive we need to engage our networks, and the realities of what we are willing and able to do. This sentiment is reflected in a number of posts from others. Carla further explores this sentiment on her blog on the Networked Professional and restates Jo’s questions about the authenticity of so much of our engagement with our networks. 

I liked the way Bernadette Maps out her Network. I really like the use of mapping for networks, the analogy with mapping terrain and territories is so very strong in my mind, and some other really good maps can be found at More Network Maps and Even More Network Maps.

While on the subject of drawings, I really liked Kate’s little sketch on her Sources of Professional Information. Such a small thing, but such a useful way to think outside of lists and the use of text.

Lauren works through both the Range and importantly the Value of her Current Networks. The range is one thing, but we need to be able to say why they are valuable to us.

Turning to theories that might give us useful perspectives on the Networked Professional, I though both Anna and Kym gave us extensive and worthwhile views on the topic. These two accounts are nuanced differently for a different effect. Do check out Anna’s post and Kym’s post.

Thinking about Reflection I really liked Elizabeth’s post ‘Mirror,mirror on the wall....

Lizzie says … ‘I like the idea that reflection is one taking everything out from their mind, being able to look at it and piece it back together in different ways’. I just thought this was so beautifully phrased and conveys so simply the reality of what reflection is … the shaping of an account of what happened that we can take forward and use.

Another view comes from Ellen who came up with a very original way of Reflecting on the Experiences of 'Her' Day…‘I wrote about my day from the perspective as my husband’. I thought this was such an interesting way to think outside the limitations of our own experiences … to use our imaginations to think things differently.

So that's the end of my little tour around BAPP Blog posts. Do go and check them out and form your own view.







1 comment:

  1. Alan, can I confirm that the Jo you are referring to is Jo Craven please? I have only access to her very first Blog and nothing since! All the others I have been following!
    Kym

    ReplyDelete